A temporary resident visa is an official document that is attached to your passport and it is a
proof that you meet the necessary requirements to enter Canada legally. Most travelers would
need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. You may also need one if you’re transiting through a
Canadian airport on your way to your final destination.
Temporary Resident Visas allow foreign nationals to enter Canada temporarily for either
pleasure (normally tourist) or business visits. Some foreign nationals do not require a Temporary
Resident Visa if they are citizens from an exempt country. If a foreign national is not a citizen
from an exempt country, that person must apply to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa before
entering Canada. Spouses and dependents of those who are temporarily residing in Canada
might also be required to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa, depending on their country of
If a foreign national who has a Temporary Resident Visa while in Canada wishes to work, that
person must obtain a work permit. The foreign national can then apply for a work permit from a
Canadian Consulate, Embassy or High Commission abroad.

There are three types (3) of Temporary Resident Visas:

Single Entry Visa

– this allows the foreign national only one entry into Canada

Multiple Entry Visa

– this allows the foreign national unlimited entry into Canada pending the
validity of the Visa

Transit Visa

– this allows entry to Canada for foreign nationals who are traveling and who’s
flight or bus enters Canada for less than forty-eight (48) hours, but who’s country of origin is one
that requires a visa.

Following are exempted from obtaining a Temporary Resident Visa

Citizens of certain countries

Individuals lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence
British citizens, and citizens of British dependent territories who derive their citizenship through
birth, descent, registration or naturalization in one of the British dependent territories of Anguilla,
Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat,
Pitcairn, St. Helena or the Turks and Caicos Islands

Persons holding a valid and subsisting Special Administrative Region passport issued by the
Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China
Persons holding passports or travel documents issued by the Holy See. Citizens of certain
countries that do not require a visa to enter Canada must apply for an eTA. An eTA is an entry
requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to or transiting through Canada by air.
The eTA allows Canada to screen travellers before they arrive in Canada.


Applicants who are required to obtain a temporary resident visa must meet some
basic requirements and you must have:

  • have a valid travel document, like a passport
  • be in good health
  • have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or
    family—that will take you back to your home country
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
  • have enough money for your stay
  • The amount of money you will need depends on how long you will stay and if you will stay in a
    hotel, or with friends or relatives.
  • You may also need a medical exam and letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada.

Application process:

  • Online
  • Offline (paper based)

Some people are not admissible to Canada, which means they are not allowed to enter the
country. You can be inadmissible for several reasons, including being involved in:

  • criminal activity
  • human rights violations
  • organized crime
  • You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons.

To help us take care of your application and smoothen your visa process, please get in touch
with our trained professional, they will be happy to assist you.

Related Topics:-

Related Services