Study in Canada

Canada is one of the top destination for international student in the world. In 2018, there were
more than 575,000 international students in Canada and it contributed an estimated $21.6
billion to Canada’s GDP and supported almost 170,000 jobs for Canada’s middle class. One of
the biggest reasons students choose to come to Canada is the quality of Canadian education. A
Canadian degree is widely recognized as equal to one from the United States, Australia, or the
United Kingdom, and Canadian universities do well in international rankings too. In fact, in one
of the studies of 2016, three Canadian Universities were ranked in the top 50 universities in the
world. There’s a wide array of Canadian institutions to choose from, but whether you attend a
university, college or vocational school, there’s no doubt that the Canadian education is world

Another big reason why students choose to come to Canada is personal safety. Studying
abroad can be scary, especially if you’re leaving your friends and family behind. The Institute for
Economics & Peace ranked Canada as the 8th most peaceful country in the world in 2016.
Unlike most other countries, Canada is pretty isolated in terms of location. It’s protected on
three sides by oceans, and only shares a border with the United States. That distance provides
a bit of a buffer from most international conflicts.

Study Permit

A study permit is a document issued to foreign national to study at a designated learning
institute in Canada. Most foreign national need a study permit to study in Canada. An aspiring
student must have a study permit before their travel to Canada. Also, your study permit in not a
visa and doesn’t allow you to enter Canada. You must also need a visa to enter Canada, if your
study permit gets approved, you will be a visa to study with it.
A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days.
These 90 days let you prepare to either leave Canada or apply to extend your study.


You can study in Canada if you:

  • are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • prove you have enough money to pay for your:
    • tuition fees
  • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
    return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)
  • are in good health and get a medical exam (if required)
  • prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires
    Your responsibilities

While studying in Canada you must:

  • make progress towards completing your program
  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit
  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires
  • Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:
    • if you’re allowed to work in Canada
    • if you’re allowed to travel within Canada
    • the date you must stop studying

People who don’t need a permit to study in Canada

Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. The cases below are
Short-term studies (6 months or less)

You can study at any school in Canada without a study permit if:

your course or program lasts 6 months or less
your studies aren’t part of a longer program and
you’ll complete all your studies within the time we approved you to stay in Canada (usually 6
months after you enter)
If you’re taking prerequisite courses, you should get a study permit, even if the courses are less
than 6 months long. If you don’t, you’ll have to apply for a study permit before you can start your
full study program. Depending on processing times, you may not get it in time to start your

Required Documents

You must have these documents to apply for a study permit:

    • proof of acceptance
    • Your school must send you a letter of acceptance. Include the original or electronic copy of your
      letter with your study permit application.
    • proof of identity
    • a valid passport
    • two recent passport-size photos
    • proof of financial support: you can prove your funds with
    • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you've transferred money to Canada
      Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
    • proof of a student or education loan from a bank
    • your bank statements for the past 4 months
    • a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
    • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
    • a letter from the person or school giving you money or
    • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded
      educational program
    • Minimum funds needed to support yourself as a student (additional to the tuition):
      • Outside Quebec CAN $10,000
      • In Quebec CAN $11,000
  • You may also need
  • a letter of explanation
  • a certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ)
  • a custodian declaration (minors only)

other documents

How to apply

  • Online application and submission
  • Paper based application and submission of hard copy
  • At the post of entry (limited to citizens of few countries)

After Application

In most cases, you need to give biometrics. Once you have paid the fees for biometric and
application is successfully submitted, you will receive a letter with information about your
biometrics. It will guide on you on how and where to give your biometric, you will have up to 30
days to give it in person. If you didn’t pay the biometric fee, you will be asked to submit it after
submission via a letter and your instruction letter for biometrics will only be issued once fees is

You may also be asked to:

go to an interview with our officials in your country or
send more information

You may also need to get a:

  • medical exam (if required)
  • police certificate (if required)

Updating your application

If you move or change your address, telephone number or any other contact information after
you apply, you must update your application.

If the application is approved

You will receive a letter of introduction. This letter is not your study permit. You need to show it
to an officer when you arrive in Canada. You will also receive an Electronic Travel
Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) to enter Canada.
If you’re from a country where you need an eTA, the letter of introduction will include information
about your eTA. Your eTA will be linked to your passport and valid for 5 years or until your
passport expires, whichever comes first. It’s important that you travel with the passport you
used when you applied for your study permit.
If you’re from a country where you need a visitor visa, the visa will be in your passport. It’ll
show if you can enter Canada once or multiple times. You must enter Canada before your visa

If the application is refused

  • You will receive a letter explaining why.
  • Your application may be refused if you didn’t:
      • show proof that you have enough money to support yourself while studying in Canada
      • pass your medical exam, if you needed to get one
      • convince the visa officer that your main purpose in Canada is to study or
      • convince the visa officer that you’ll leave Canada at the end of your study period
      • If you have questions about why you were refused, contact the visa office that sent you the
      refusal letter.

Please get in touch our trained professional to help you in making the right decision in pursuing
your education in Canada and with the visa process.

Post Graduate Work Permit
Express Entry

Related Topics:-

Related Services